Nobody Knows What The Future Holds

Yesterday, my blogging students and I embarked on the second day of exploring the 11-Minute Essay by Gretchen Bernabei. We used a photo and truism to start our thinking. Then we journeyed. It was quite fun! Here are my the tracks of my thinking.

Truism-How is that true?

Movie-How is that true? Book-How is that true? Show-How is that true? I wonder…

Nobody knows what the future holds. Nobody knows because the future has not become present yet. We only know the future when it actually occurs in real time. Many times, it is unpredicable.

In the movie The Incredibles II, no one know in the Incredible family just what power baby Jack-Jack would have since he had never exhibited them yet. However, due to silly situation with a mapache, the little incredible became enfuriated and began to show his powers. Everyone was dumbfounded when they saw this. Not only that, but Jack-Jack saved his family in the end. If it weren’t for his new powers of a fireball and invisibility, the family would have perished at the hands of an evil character. In other words, no one saw that coming.

You just never know which videos will go viral on YouTube. One man created a hilarious video of a dog talking. The dog was teased by his owner with bacon. This video received a million views within a few days! It was featured on many popular talk shows including Good Morning America. I bet the man who produced this video never would have guessed that this would happen to him.

The character Francisco in La Mariposa, was a shy character that had difficulty communicating in English with classmates. He was learning English for the first time. Instead of playing outside at recess with his classmates, he stayed inside and took care of his caterpillar friend in a jar. Slowly but surely, Francisco was able to learn more English and make friends. He emerged from his own cocoon at the School, but it took time. No one knew that that would happen so fast.

Now I wonder about things that will happen in the future that we don’t expect. I wonder if we will find a vaccine quickly to Covid-19. I wonder when things will go back to normal. Like many say, the future will tell.